KAMRA™ Inlay Candidates: Exploring Your Options
Kamra Inlay Candidates - Hudson Valley, NY
The world of eye care is constantly evolving. At Palisades Laser Eye Center in Hudson Valley, NY, Dr. Richard Gordon takes pride in remaining on the cutting edge of his field. Developments in technology and treatments bring us new and improved ways to offer high-quality care to our patients.
The KAMRA™ Inlay is an excellent treatment option for those experiencing age-related vision loss. Here, we discuss Kamra Inlay candidates, and how this innovative technology can help our patients enjoy improved eyesight.
As we grow older, the natural lens of the eye changes, resulting in presbyopia, or age-related farsightedness. This condition is a normal part of aging, and although it can be frustrating, it is not a cause for serious concern.
Corrective eyewear has long been the mainstay method for treating presbyopia. In recent years, however, advanced vision procedures have become more and more accessible. For example, the KAMRA Inlay can drastically reduce or eliminate the need for prescription lenses.
Exploring KAMRA Inlays: A Brief Overview
The KAMRA Inlay is ultra-thin and smaller than a standard contact lens. During a 20-minute procedure, a small pinhole opening in the center of the inlay is placed over the pupil of the non-dominant eye. (Treating only the non-dominant eye preserves optimal distance vision.) The pinhole allows only focused light into the eye, significantly improving farsightedness. Approved by the FDA, the KAMRA Inlay offers predictable and long-lasting results.
KAMRA Inlay General Candidacy
Presbyopia typically occurs between the ages of 45 and 60, and usually becomes more marked over time. Candidates for the KAMRA Inlay are generally in this age group, and are in good overall health. Patients who have experienced corneal dryness must have these issues addressed before undergoing KAMRA Inlay treatment.
Qualifying patients should have a comprehensive understanding of the procedure and its risks, and have reasonable expectations regarding the outcome. You may be an excellent candidate for the KAMRA Inlay if you:
- Wear Reading Glasses: If you require reading or prescription glasses every time you glance at a magazine or pick up your phone, then the KAMRA Inlay may be the solution for you.
- Have Good Uncorrected Distance Vision: If you can typically see faraway objects clearly, but have difficulty seeing up close, then you are probably an excellent candidate for the KAMRA Inlay procedure.
- Have Healthy Corneas: In order for the KAMRA Inlay to work properly, the cornea in the non-dominant eye should be appropriately shaped and healthy.
- Have a Normal Pupil Size: Patients who receive the KAMRA Inlay should have normal-sized pupils in order for the lens to function properly.
- Feel Inconvenienced by Glasses: Patients who are frustrated by constantly rummaging through purses, pockets, or drawers for reading glasses can improve their quality of life with the KAMRA Inlay.
- Desire a Permanent Solution: Research has shown that patients who undergo the KAMRA Inlay procedure continue to enjoy the benefits even after their presbyopia worsens.
The KAMRA Inlay and Cataract Surgery
During cataract surgery, the lens of the eye is removed. Because of this, patients who have undergone cataract surgery are typically not candidates for the KAMRA Inlay. Therefore, alternative options are usually recommended in these cases.
Learn More about the KAMRA Inlay Procedure
If you are starting to notice the effects of age-related farsightedness, then the KAMRA Inlay could be an excellent treatment option for you. To find out if you are a candidate, schedule a consultation with Dr. Gordon. You can reach us by calling (845) 364-9767 or by contacting us online.